This meatless Monday recipe for my black bean veggie burger has been my latest foodie obsession! It’s scrumptious and full of flavor. What started as a recipe for meatless meatballs, turned into a veggie burger recipe due to the fact that the meatballs fell flat. I mean, literally, they wouldn’t keep their shape as round meatballs but did resemble a very nice burger pattie. So now here I am, sharing my veggie burger recipe with you! One main thing that I love about this recipe, besides the fact that it’s super easy and quick to make, is that it’s also incredibly easy to make gluten-free. I have so many friends and family members who have some form of gluten intolerance. I’m pretty sure I’m not alone. All you have to do to make this recipe gluten free, is swap out the rolled oats for gluten free rolled oats. That’s it! Easy peasy!
- 1 can of black beans – drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1/4 minced sweet onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp hemp or flax seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp olive oil for frying
- optional: toppings of your choice – I used homemade guacamole, lettuce and cilantro
Serves 3 -4
Time: 15 – 20 minutes
- Pulse your rolled oats and hemp seeds in the food processor.
- Now add the rest of your ingredients and blend till smooth. Let sit for a few minutes and you’ll see the mixture start to thicken.
- Place some olive oil in the frying pan (you can skip this step if you’re bbq-ing) along with 1/3 – 1/4 of the black bean mixture.
- Cook on medium heat, about 4 – 5 minutes per side. Add your favorite toppings and you’re ready to eat!