I don’t know about you but I’m ready to heat things up! This Winter is just getting started but it’s been freezing out. There’s nothing like a warm bowl of soup after coming in from the cold. Today for my meatless Monday recipe, I’m sharing my cilantro and jalapeño corn chowder. It’s a different take on my Grilled Corn Chowder Recipe that I shared last year. This corn chowder recipe has a bit of heat to it (that you can adjust according to taste). I also used some different spices and loaded this corn chowder up with cumin and cilantro. Check it out:
Time: 45 mins Serves: 6 – 8
- 4 pds red potatoes – peeled and diced
- 4 cups corn or 3 cans drained
- 1 large jalapeño or 2 small ones – deseeded
- 1 14.5 oz can Hunt’s fire roasted tomatoes
- 3oz baby spinach (about 1/2 a bag)
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp Earth Balance soy free buttery spread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 drops liquid smoke
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 cup broccoli stems – steam and cook with potatoes – adds protein!
- Steam your potatoes – I used a double boiler set up (20 mins)
- Place potatoes in food processor and blend until mostly whipped (set aside)
- Place onion and jalapeño in food processor and mince. Toss into pot with olive oil until onions are golden. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Now add everything else EXCEPT for spinach and cilantro.
- Cook on low, stirring occasionally for 15 mins
- Add spinach and cilantro and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve warm