Last winter this veggie lasagna was one of my go-to recipes and I have a feeling that this winter won’t be any different. It’s choke full of vegetables and even uses sweet potato noodles instead of pasta! This meatless Monday recipe is perfect for vegan and gluten free eaters. Also, it uses Gardein’s Beefless Ground, which gives it a heartiness that meat-eaters love too. I’ll be the first to admit, it’s not my most photogenic recipe, however I promise that it smells and tastes AMAZING! Check it out:
Cashew Cream Sauce:
-4 oz cashews (1/2 container)
-1 large red potato (peeled + chopped)
-1 1/4 cup water
-1/2 tsp cumin
-1/2 tsp onion powder
-1/4 chili powder
-1/4 garlic powder
-salt and pepper to taste
-1 large sweet potato (can use oven ready lasagna noodles instead)
-1 large zucchini or 2 small ones
-1/2 bag shredded carrots
-1 – 2 tsp olive oil
-1/2 bag Gardein Beefless Ground
-1 jar of pasta sauce
-1/2 bag of baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 425*
- While oven is preheating, set up a double boiler to steam potatoes and carrots
- While double boiler is heating up, skin and chop the red potato and peel the sweet potato into flat wide noodles (toss away the skins). Keep peeling until sweet potato has practically disappeared.
- Place shredded carrots, red potato and sweet potato into double boiler, keeping them slightly separate. Steam for about 15 – 20 minutes or until soft. You can test this with a fork.
- Slice zucchini and lightly toss with olive oil in mixing bowl. Place on baking sheet and once oven is preheated bake for 10 minutes (flip) and bake for another 10 minutes. Once they’ve finished, set them aside.
- Preheat oven again to 350*
- In a food processor, place all ingredients for cashew cream sauce (including red potato once it’s done steaming) and puree (set aside till you’re ready to layer your lasagna). Consistency should be thick but still slightly runny (should fall off your spoon) You can add 1/4 cup of water at a time if it’s too thick. If it’s like hummus then add more water and puree again.
- Pour half of the beefless ground into a bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir with fork and microwave again for another minute. If any of the beefless ground still looks frozen, stir again and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Now you’re ready to layer your lasagna! You’ll want to make sure that when you’re done layering, there’s a 1/4 – 1/2” of room between the top of your lasagna and the top of your casserole dish. **Make sure to leave enough pasta sauce to thickly cover the top of your lasagna once you’ve finished layering**
- Start with a thin layer of pasta sauce on the bottom, add a layer of sweet potato noodles, spinach, followed by a layer of cashew cream sauce, add beefless ground, zucchini and carrots. Do this once more. Add a final layer of sweet potato noodles, followed by a thick layer of pasta sauce and any leftover cashew cream sauce.
- Place in oven for 45 minutes (you’ll see edges of pasta sauce start to bubble)