Yesterday was one of those foggy early Fall days and I was left longing for something warm and soul-soothing. Today’s Meatless Monday Recipe hits that spot! This is a whole food plant-based recipe that’s perfect for vegetarians and vegans alike. It’s also incredible easy to make, most of the time for this recipe is roasting the butternut squash. Which thankfully takes very little effort on my part and left me with a free hour on Sunday morning. I also used Green Giant’s frozen cauliflower rice, which was super easy to make and a bit of a time saver as well! Scroll down to find the recipe below:
- 1 butternut squash (mine was about 2.5 pounds)
- 1 cup baby spinach or kale
- 1 can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 bag Green Giant Cauliflower Rice
- 1/2 sweet onion (diced)
- 3 – 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425′
- Cut butternut squash in half (long way) and scoop out seeds. Coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and into the oven for 50 – 60 minutes. Squash should be tender like a roasted sweet potato when it’s done.
- Chop your onion and garlic and sauté in olive oil in a fry pan (5 – 6 minutes medium heat) and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Add some additional olive oil to the fry pan and sauté your spinach (1 – 2 minutes low heat). Set this aside along with the garlic and onion.
- Place frozen cauliflower rice in the microwave as per instructions.
- While cauliflower rice is cooking, rinse and drain the beans. Once cauliflower rice is done, mix all toppings in bowl.
- When the squash has finished cooking, simple add the cauliflower rice/bean mixture and you’re ready to eat!