gold leaf sheets (available at an arts & crafts store)
mod podge in satin finish
neutral tone thread
1. Iron your canvas to get rid of any wrinkles.
2. Fold it in half so that you have 2 layers overlapping.
3. Use the ruler to draw a 4″x4″ square on your canvas, and cut out the square from both layers at once to save time.
4. Sew both layers together with a neutral tone thread, leaving about a 1/4″ border all around.
5. Spray adhesive on the areas where you would like to apply gold leaf (this doesn’t have to be too specific). Make sure to do this on a piece of cardboard or other disposable workspace, and in a well-ventilated area. Let set for 30 seconds.
6. Use a piece of wax paper to remove a sheet of gold leaf and gently lay over the adhesive area. Use a clean, dry paintbrush to carefully press the gold leaf onto the canvas, and remove excess pieces of gold leaf.
7. Use the foambrush to gently spread mod podge over the gold leaf, paying special attention to the edges of the gold leaf. Let dry, and voila! You have your coaster. Repeat for as many coasters as you would like to make.
via SMP at Home